Tuesday 30 August 2011

WARNING - VIRUS SCAM PHONE CALLS

Important Warning for the Non-Technical/ Potentially Gullible

I was called yesterday at my home by an Indian sounding "gentleman" who said he was from "tech support".  He knew my name and home address.....

He went on to say my computer was infected by a number of virii and had been reported by the internet police.  He asked me to look at Event Viewer and the large number of coloured warnings....

Had I let him, he would have asked for a Credit Card payment to fix these and then allowthem free access to my computer remotely.  I had a LOUD discussion with him and his boss and did not allow any of this to take place.  The companies name was TechAviators - beware !....

I have since Googled and found this is a frequent scam - this particular company IS based in India.  Sometimes callers working the same scam say they are calling on behalf of Microsoft.....

I know you probably would not fall for this yourselves, but consider advising your less-technical, more trusting/ gullible friends.  At best, they could lose whatever fee they demand - and follow-up charges.  At worst, they risk their personal information, bank/ credit card details  etc. getting into the wrong hands.

Good luck,

Bill.....

ps. if you have had similar experiences, I have a contact you can report to.  If you are intested in Spreadsheet Automation - presenting live Financial ERP data  ( Lawson, SAP, Infor, Microsoft etc etc ) in Excel for Management Reporting/ Financial Analysis, then give us a call to discuss or visit www.excelogy.co.uk ...


No comments:

Post a Comment